Mr. Paul Perez » Paul Perez - Music

Paul Perez - Music

Instrumental music requires discipline
ELAPA Magnet offers multiple instrumental classes ranging from Beginning Strings and Band to Jazz Band and both String and Full Orchestra.  Our beginning and intermediate classes are available for all students and skill levels.  Our advanced groups require a placement test.  To get information about placement tests for advanced groups, please contact Paul Perez at [email protected]
As ELAPA magnet is a performing arts school, there is an expectation that all students will perform in culminating performance assignments as part of demonstrating mastery of the standards in their performing arts courses.  Evening and weekend performances are considered essential tasks for all students to demonstrate mastery of their learning.

Music Syllabus

Torres ELAPA Magnet 2021-2022                                                                     Paul Perez: [email protected]


Course Description: Beginning Music Classes are non auditioned musical performance ensembles. These classes will focus heavily on participation and encourage an enthusiastic and nurturing environment for all students to grow as musicians and model students. These classes will provide an introduction to proper playing technique, music theory, music history and appreciation, and melodic & rhythmic sight reading. 

 Online Resources that will be used in class

  • Google: Docs, Slides, Sheets, Forms, etc.
  • Smartmusic
  • Schoology
  • ZOOM and many more

Instrumental Technique and Etiquette : Playing music is a very personal art form. These classes are aimed not only to create musicians, but to also foster a welcoming and encouraging environment for people to try new things they may have never tried before. In order to do so, students must treat each other with respect, come to class ready to learn and grow, and to have a great attitude about music and about school. This class is centered around a musical skill that involves using your whole body. Students must participate to their best ability everyday in order to master this skill. 


  • Rehearsal/Performance Etiquette: Students will make sure to adapt to the following norms:
  • Classwork: Students will need to turn in assignments when they are given. These assignments will demonstrate proper posture, technique, and help develop your skills as a musician. 


Music Theory and Analysis

  • Classwork: Students will be asked to write down exercises and vocabulary words during class sessions.
  • Students will be assigned exercises using They will complete the exercise and record their tabulated scores. They will turn these scores in to show completion of practice. 
  • Smartmusic: This year, students will be using smart music for sight reading exercise. Students will be asked to assess their sight reading skills and record their attempts. They will turn in these attempts for credit and receive one-on-one critiques to help improve their skill. 


Tests/Virtual Performances

  • Tests: Students will be assigned that will be performed in class, in front of your classmates. You will be assessed on posture, ability, intonation, and other items. There will be no alternate assignments.
  • Performances: Performances are required for this class.  There will be a culminating performance for the school and an evening performance for parents and friends.  Performance grades will be weighted heavily and are part of a final exam. Dress code and proper performance etiquette are vital to all performances.


In order for students to track their own growth and progress, feedback to students will be based on the following 5-point rubric:


5-Point Rubric


4 - Mastery

I can demonstrate a thorough understanding of the learning target, and I can apply this learning target in other contexts. I can accurately teach it to others.

3 - Proficient

I can demonstrate an understanding of the learning target, but I may make a few minor errors and I am not confident to teach others.

2 - Approaching

I can demonstrate some understanding of the learning target, but because of the gaps in my understanding, I still need more practice and descriptive actionable feedback to show growth and progress towards mastery.

1 - Beginning

I can demonstrate very minimal or misunderstanding of the learning target, and I need additional instructional support or significant reteaching.

0 - No Evidence

I can demonstrate very minimal or misunderstanding of the learning target, and I need additional instructional support or significant reteaching.


The final grade is determined from the body of evidence. Specifically, emphasizing the consistency of the student’s mastery level of the learning targets throughout the semester, and on the student’s most recent performance.

- For example, if you score 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 2 in a particular learning target, your overall mastery level will be determined to be 2 ( your most consistent and recent score).

- If you score 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4 in a particular learning target, your overall mastery level will be determined to be 4 (this shows growth in knowledge - great!).


Final Grades

Final proficiency levels in each learning target will be used to assess final grades.


Letter Grade



I demonstrated mastery (4) in at least 75% of the learning targets and proficiency (3) or approaching (2) in the remaining 25%. Mostly 4s. Maximum of one 2.


I was proficient (3) in at least 75% of learning targets and demonstrated approaching (2) level skills in the remaining 25%. Mostly 3s. Nothing below a 2.


I demonstrated approaching level skills (2) in at least 75% of the learning targets.


Demonstrates at least beginning (1) in all learning targets.


Have not demonstrated understanding (0). May have limited or no attempts towards learning target.

Behavioral Marks

Attendance, work habits, and cooperation will not be counted towards the final grade, but will be assessed separately every 5-week grading period.



Work Habits




Completes assignments consistently, actively participates appropriately and works toward mastery of learning targets.

Follows all classroom expectations and demonstrates respect, responsibility, and safety for oneself and others in the classroom.



Completes assignments, actively participates appropriately most times, and works toward mastery of learning targets.

Follows most classroom expectations most of the time and generally demonstrates respect, responsibility, and safety for oneself and others in the classroom.

Unsatisfactory (U)

Completes assignments inconsistently, does not participate appropriately, and does not work towards mastery of learning targets.

Does not follow classroom expectations and/or does not demonstrate respect, responsibility, or safety for oneself or others in the classroom.


Learning Target (LT)

California State Music Common Core Standards 

and/or CTE Arts Media & Entertainment Standards:


Playing Posture: I can demonstrate and describe proper playing posture both standing and sitting.




Rhythm Reading: I can perform, identify and notate various rhythmic sequences in various meters.


B2.4, B2.2   


Sight Reading: I can play, identify and describe elements in basic melodic patterns.


B2.4, B2.2   


Ensemble Performance: I can play my part within a piece of music and understand the part it plays in the ensemble.

Nov.MU:E.Pr4.2, Nov.MU:E.Pr6



Reflection/Evaluation: I can evaluate and reflect on instrumental performances, both live and recorded, using content specific vocabulary.




Music Analysis: I can describe form, genre, texture, and dynamics of various musical performances using content specific vocabulary.




Music Appreciation: I can describe the societal, cultural and historical influences in a piece of music and explain how those aspects are expressed musically.

Nov.MU:E.Cn11, Nov.MU:E.Pr6 



Industry Expectations: I can demonstrate  proper rehearsal/performance etiquette and expectations. 



California State Music Common Core Standards:



Anchor Standard 4: Select, analyze, and interpret artistic work for presentation. 


Demonstrate, using music reading skills where appropriate, how knowledge of formal aspects in musical works inform prepared or improvised performances. 

Anchor Standard 5: Develop and refine artistic techniques and work for presentation. 


Use self-reflection and peer feedback to refine individual and ensemble performances of a varied repertoire of music. 

Anchor Standard 6: Convey meaning through the presentation of artistic work. 


Demonstrate attention to technical accuracy and expressive qualities in prepared and improvised performances of a varied repertoire of music.


Anchor Standard 11: Relate artistic ideas and works with societal, cultural, and historical context to deepen understanding.


Relate music to societal, cultural, and historical contexts when creating, performing, and responding. 


CTE AME Standards:


Performing Arts Pathway

B2.4  Sight-read music accurately and expressively. 


B2.2  Describe how the elements of music are used. 


B5.1 Sing or play a repertoire of musical literature representing various genres, styles, and cultures with expression and technical accuracy. 


B5.2  Sing or play music written in multiple parts, individually or with a group. 


B5.4  Employ a variety of music technology to record, integrate, or modify a live or recorded performance to produce a new artistic product. 


B9.0 Explore the connection between artistic preparation and professional standards and practices.