Paul Perez - Music
Torres ELAPA Magnet 2021-2022 Paul Perez: [email protected]
Course Description: Beginning Music Classes are non auditioned musical performance ensembles. These classes will focus heavily on participation and encourage an enthusiastic and nurturing environment for all students to grow as musicians and model students. These classes will provide an introduction to proper playing technique, music theory, music history and appreciation, and melodic & rhythmic sight reading.
Online Resources that will be used in class
- Google: Docs, Slides, Sheets, Forms, etc.
- ZOOM and many more
Instrumental Technique and Etiquette : Playing music is a very personal art form. These classes are aimed not only to create musicians, but to also foster a welcoming and encouraging environment for people to try new things they may have never tried before. In order to do so, students must treat each other with respect, come to class ready to learn and grow, and to have a great attitude about music and about school. This class is centered around a musical skill that involves using your whole body. Students must participate to their best ability everyday in order to master this skill.
- Rehearsal/Performance Etiquette: Students will make sure to adapt to the following norms:
- Classwork: Students will need to turn in assignments when they are given. These assignments will demonstrate proper posture, technique, and help develop your skills as a musician.
Music Theory and Analysis
- Classwork: Students will be asked to write down exercises and vocabulary words during class sessions.
- Musictheory.net: Students will be assigned exercises using musictheory.net. They will complete the exercise and record their tabulated scores. They will turn these scores in to show completion of practice.
- Smartmusic: This year, students will be using smart music for sight reading exercise. Students will be asked to assess their sight reading skills and record their attempts. They will turn in these attempts for credit and receive one-on-one critiques to help improve their skill.
- Tests: Students will be assigned that will be performed in class, in front of your classmates. You will be assessed on posture, ability, intonation, and other items. There will be no alternate assignments.
- Performances: Performances are required for this class. There will be a culminating performance for the school and an evening performance for parents and friends. Performance grades will be weighted heavily and are part of a final exam. Dress code and proper performance etiquette are vital to all performances.
The final grade is determined from the body of evidence. Specifically, emphasizing the consistency of the student’s mastery level of the learning targets throughout the semester, and on the student’s most recent performance.
- For example, if you score 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 2 in a particular learning target, your overall mastery level will be determined to be 2 ( your most consistent and recent score).
- If you score 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4 in a particular learning target, your overall mastery level will be determined to be 4 (this shows growth in knowledge - great!).
California State Music Common Core Standards:
CTE AME Standards: